Monday, September 15, 2014

Wallpaper enthusiast (updated)

I love playing around with the Wallpaper on my machines. You know, it's the static background picture you see when nothing else is showing. It's the thing they for some reason usually call "screensaver" on films and TV shows.  :-)

One does not have to stick with the lovely but generic nature shots they supply with the machine. There are so many options. With my tablets, I often take screenshots when I'm watching videos. (On an iPad, it's the sleep button plus the home button. On Android it's supposed to be sleep button plus Volume Down, but it doesn't work on my 12-inch 4.04 system.)

Here are two I got recently from one of my favorite shows, Phineas And  Ferb (they have sub amazing visuals).
The top one especially fits so well as Lock Screen. I am not sure why, but it strikes me every time I wake up the tablet...

Lock screen:
By the way, the image, helicopter ride over the city, is a
homage to West Side Story, which opens so. A minute is
almost shot-for-shot the same, brilliant. 

Wallpaper, home screen:


Update:
Bron asked if I did not use my own photos or art for wallpaper. Sure, I do that too. Here are examples taken from what I happened to have downloaded to my new tablet:

Here are some autumn-leaves, slightly enhanced in the computer:

Here is one of the "frost flower series". Straight photo

This one is not mine, but kindly donated by TCGirl.

This one I took near Prague, model is Marketa.
(Actually I don't so often now have girls on my screens, I guess 16 years of running Domai.com has satisfied me for a while!    :-)

Here are some of my most popular, Frost Flowers. Feel free to use personally.


9 comments:

Bron said...

I'm surprised that you aren't using your own imagery for back drops. My home screen is an abstraction I painted specifically for my home screens. Lock screens are revolving images that appeal at the moment, but almost always my own images.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Oh, I do that too, Bron, but sadly my output is not high enough to satisfy my great appetite for variation in wallpapers.

btw, I was very pleasantly surprised when one of my friends, a scientist and highly competent artist, wrote me about a replacement to one of my photos, he had been using it for almost ten years!!
It's one of these:

http://stobblehouse.com/photo/frostflowersbig/index.html

Feel free to use them, especially if you can link to some of yours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eolake!

Yes it's true, the following photo of yours has been my favorite computer background for all of these years:

http://stobblehouse.com/photo/frostflowersbig/source/frostflowers-0036.html

I like it not only because it's a fascinating and beautiful photograph, but also because it's not too light, too dark or too busy; my icons show up against it perfectly!

Best wishes,

Norm

Eolake Stobblehouse said...


Yes, some subtlety is good in wallpapers.
Something we had forgotten in the sixties, heh.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I have updated the post with some alternative wallpapers, some are my own.

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

The "Frost" pictures are quite nice!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, Bron.

... With today's big screens and bandwidth, I think it's time to give people the full camera size!

Click here for frostflowers.

Or raw link:
http://stobblehouse.com/photo/frostflowersbig/index.html

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

(Oh, use the Zip link for the new mamoth versions.)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You have the eye, Norm, it's not only the best from a wallpaper viewpoint, but arguably the best from an art standpoint too.