Friday, October 22, 2010

iPad technology propagating

Apple says that some of the technology in the new generation MacBook Air comes from the iPad. This is my article about quality based on it, and here is the keynote speech with Steve Jobs.

Steve said it is what would happen if an iPad and a MacBook "hooked up". 

I'm impressed with the smaller version, the 11-inch MacBook Air. It's not a heck of a lot bigger/heavier than the iPad (1 kilo vs 680 grams), but it has a full sized physical keyboard built in, and has rather more power and flexibility (it runs a full OS X Snow Leopard after all). Very impressive. The downsides are less battery life, and loss of the attractive simplicity which has helped the iPad being such a huge hit.

Despite that, I would say that at just around one kilo (2.3 pounds) [Thanks to Anon for correcting me there], it can be used as an ereader device in many situations (it runs a Kindle app for example), and it will probably fit well in airplane seats, which has been another situation where iPads have sprung in.

I'm not replacing anything, I fully intend on keeping both, and get double the joy.

No comments: