Sunday, December 26, 2010

“Daily” iPad Newspaper Set for January Launch

“Daily” iPad Newspaper Set for January Launch, article.
...it will use lots of video and it will have cool multimedia bells and whistles, including some kind of 3-D effect that lots of people are very excited about...
Most important for other media companies: The Daily is supposed to use a new “push” subscription feature from Apple, where iTunes automatically bills customers on a weekly or monthly basis, and a new edition shows up on customers’ iPads every morning.

I think this is the first major newpaper/multimedia vehicle created from scratch for digital delivery. Kinda interesting, especially the price, 99 cents per week. Now that's a reasonable price.

I always find newspapers incredibly boring, I'm not interested in 98% of what they talk about. But this new format I find interesting, it could be used for so many kewl things.

By the way, when people say "ereaders", they tend to only think "books". I think that needs to change, much more reading is happening with magazines and newspapers. And a proper ereader needs to handle this speedily and well. And sorry, I don't think the Kindle does that, the iPad is the only thing for it so far. (Though I still think we need a bigger, but light-weight, iPad for a real immersive experience in this area.)

No comments: