Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Buy books in the iTunes store

You can finally buy e-books in the iTunes store. At least in the U.S. so far.

I never got why they didn't do that from the beginning? Everything else had been shoe-horned into iTunes, films, TV-shows, audio-books, podcasts, university lectures, music social networks, dinosaurs, antique airplanes, parts for nuclear bombs... but e-books? Nah, need a separate app for that. Silly.

One thing missing yet, though: we still can't read the books on a Mac or PC so far as I can see. Need an iOS device for that. That has to change too. Even though I prefer an iPad for reading, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to read on my MacBook Air if that's what I have with me. It needs a table or stand, but otherwise it's a perfectly serviceable reading device with a very good screen, outstanding screen in fact, even better than the iPad's.

Fortunately Kindle already has an excellent app for Mac, so I'll just have to use that one instead of buying my books in the iBookstore...      :-)

No comments: