Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The issue with web mail

"Hacked!" article.
Did you know that Gmail accounts are attacked a few thousand times... per day!?

Did you know that if you don't use an email app but rely on your web browser for email, in the worst case all your past mail could be lost? (An actual email app (examples: Outlook or Apple Mail.app) will store the emails locally on your computer too.)

My pal Adam from Tidbits uses Gmail and I knew he uses the web interface (it has some advantages I'm a bit hazy on), so I asked him how he makes local backups. He said: "I launch Apple Mail at least once a week and let it download."

Web mail has advantages, of course, it's very handy to be able to access your email from any device with a web browser, and it is much better at getting rid of spam (I'm not sure of the technical reason, something about being able to check links and see if they lead to spam sites).

No comments: