Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ol' faithful iPad

I just ordered my Instapaper app on my iPad to show me the article I was reading in the Safari browser. Nothing happened.

A little irritating, but really what it illustrated to me was how rare this is for me with iOS devices. I've been using iPad 1 and 2 and iPhone 4 and 4S for two years now, and something like this has happened only a couple of times. That's pretty amazing, especially when you consider how young the platform is.

God knows it's a vast and welcome improvement over the (nineties) systems Mac OS 7, 8, 9, and Window 95, 98, Me, which all were about as stable as a stilt walker on a freshly polished floor. A decade ago if I had a day without a couple of system-wide crashes, I lit a candle in the window.

1 comment:

Stephen A said...

Largely a function of everything transitioning over to BSD or Linux under the hood, which was bulletproof to begin with.

That, and drivers, the total number have decreased and the quality increased as we have transitioned to system on a chip designs.