Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Nook and Kobo in browser

B&N has released Nook for web, an ebook reader in your browser.

And just yesterday I found Kobo reader as a plugin for the Chrome browser. The interface seems good.

I like Kobo. The reader itself is nice, for example the rubbery surface is one of the nicest I've tried for an ereader/tablet device. And unlike Nook, Kobo is available in many countries outside the US, like UK and Singapore. The latter I know only because I have a friend in Singapore, and even Kindle is not available there, but Kobo is, and a good selection of books. That's well done by Kobo, getting all the rights and such sorted is surely by far no trivial task!

I think their market share is tiny compared to Kindle+Nook, so it's pretty amazing how well they are doing in so many areas, including various quite nice devices. It'll be interesting to see if they are still around in ten years, I hope so.

2 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Just saw this [Yahoo] vid (I wonder if you can see it?) stating the preference for the Nook, for an "under $100" e-reader.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Never tried a Nook, until recently you couldn't even use it outside the US.
And now I'm hooked on the frontlight of the Kindle Paperwhite.

Thanks.