Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chinese super-phablets

Just as I'm starting to get used to "phablet", it seems to go away, there are too many of them now and they are just "phones".
(I never did understand why though; the phone capability is the least of what these things can do, and they don't even do it well. I still sometimes accidentally call back on a voice mail when I just wanted to listen to it, and like all mobile phones the sound is poor, after all these years.)

The Chinese are coming in very strong now. Look at this monster.
Imagine seeing this video before the first iPhone came out. Pure Science Fiction.
It looks really good, both visually and interface-wise, and feature-wise.
(It's not a "cheap Chinese" phone either, it's $500 in China.)




Full HD resolution in a 5-inch phone, though? (440PPI) I think that watching HD video is only barely meaningful on my iPad 3, and that is what, four times bigger? I think that over 300PPI is getting into pretty theoretical territory.

3 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

I still sometimes accidentally call back on a voice mail when I just wanted to listen to it,

I wonder if that has something to do w/the touch screen? I don't know; I don't own one but someone taught me to "click" the on/off button, on my phone, and, then, the touch screen lighting turns off, so there's no chance of accidental screen commands. And...I play it back on speaker phone, so I don't have to hold it up to my ear...if I am not in public, that is. :-) I used to ERASE voice mails, all the time, before I even had a chance to listen to them, before! So annoying! :-(

...and like all mobile phones the sound is poor, after all these years.)

I know. Can't tell you how often I think the very same thing: after all this time and...for ALL ($130 minimum, for 2 phones) that many of us pay, on a monthly basis, you would think that it was more efficient! :-(

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

It's just an interface quirk. To me it seems natural that to listen to a message, I tap on the message. Right? But that triggers a call. I have to tap on a little arrow sitting on the right side of the message.
I'd say that to to trigger an important message like calling (you might wake up somebody), it should be made clear that this would happen, either with a clear button for it, or at least with a confirmation.

TC [Girl] said...

It's just an interface quirk. To me it seems natural that to listen to a message, I tap on the message. Right?

Yes...one would think...

But that triggers a call. I have to tap on a little arrow sitting on the right side of the message.

I see. I have yet to look @ the layout of an iPhone.

I'd say that to to trigger an important message like calling (you might wake up somebody),

Right. At least you consider that (and I know why); sadly, however, most don't! :-(

...it should be made clear that this would happen, either with a clear button for it, or at least with a confirmation.

I, totally, agree! I have a little bar that comes up w/a row of commands, with "call" being on the very left side; "send msg," next, etc. and...if I tap on this durn bar too far to the right, I end up calling someone, rather than texting them, too; *such* a PAIN!! So, yes...I hear you on this issue!