Sunday, September 21, 2014

My dreams of compact devices came true

... Sometimes it pays to make wishes. :-)
Apple comes out with *exactly* the phone/ereader I wanted, in iPhone 6 Plus. An amazing pocket ereader, although at a very premium price.

 And though none are called "pocket" by name, Amazon then comes out with not one, but *two* compact models at once. The Kindle Voyage is also a bit premium, the new flag ship model of the e-ink readers oozes quality all over, and it compacter and lighter in every measure, and the former model (Kindle Paperwhite, still being sold) is not ungainly by any means.

 And Amazon's new HD 6 model is smaller in every metric, durned cheap at $100, and it is a *full inch* narrower than the 7-inch HD and the HDX models, and this is the most important metric for how easy it is to hold. (It could have lost more weight, but that would make it more expensive.) I'd already ordered the Voyage (and of course the i6+), now I've also ordered the HD6. It'll be an embarrassment of riches of compactness for me this fall and winter.

I just can't figure out how Amazon managed to design and built the pocket-sized HD6 in the three-four weeks they had since I petitioned them...     :-)
 (Why they are so low key about both these breakthroughs: the pocket-sizedness and the $100 pricepoint. They are usually not shy.)

(Almost hand-sized. 280 grams, 30 grams lighter than 
an iPad mini, 100 grams heavier than a Kindle Voyage.)

... A couple years ago Nexus 7 broke the $200 barrier and made great waves, and now Amazon does it to the $100 barrier, it's astounding, seriously. Such a powerful tool for the price of an evening in town. A cheap town. And without any loss of brain cells or hearing either.

7 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Waiting with baited breath for your review of the rest of the Muskateers!! :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

They are not released yet, so, uhm, unbait your breath.

TC [Girl] said...

Oh, OK...might turn blue, if I don't, huh?! :-P

TC [Girl] said...

"A grocery thing," and...a Kindle Voyage. :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ah, thank you.

----
I've bought every Kindle in the hope that *this* was the one...
I almost didn't buy the Voyage, because the differences sound slight. But on the other hand everybody is so impressed that it would be stupid to buy 6 generations and then miss the one I can really use. (The Kindle Paperwhite two is very close. I don't understand why it's still so slow though.)

----
Funny enough I found your comment at the same time as a mail from Amazon that my Voage will come Monday, a week earlier than projected.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

And the grocery thing is interesting, thanks. I was just wondering to somebody that it's odd that their little tower does not do that.

TC [Girl] said...

Ah, thank you.

You're welcome... :-)

----

I've bought every Kindle in the hope that *this* was the one...
I almost didn't buy the Voyage, because the differences sound slight. But on the other hand everybody is so impressed that it would be stupid to buy 6 generations and then miss the one I can really use. (The Kindle Paperwhite two is very close. I don't understand why it's still so slow though.)


You'll have to mention if that has been improved in the Voyage...and I am waiting...with "baited breath," for that review, now!! :-)

----

Funny enough I found your comment at the same time as a mail from Amazon that my Voage will come Monday, a week earlier than projected.

This is..."funny;" I wonder if there isn't the demand that was, in the past? An exciting day awaits you, tomorrow!! :-D