Monday, September 15, 2014

Watch ereader?

I wonder when there will be an ereader app for the Apple Watch?     :-)

I know, I know, it's tiny, the opposite of what I've been campaigning for. But this would not be for my main reading platform. It would mainly be for fun, actually.

And I actually know people who have been reading novels on cell phones *before* smartphones... display barely bigger than this, and much, much cruder in resolution.


Mockup by me. I might use
a bigger font, but it looks good.

Update:
Len reminded me of the perfect app for tiny screens: Spritz, one of several apps which show just one word at a time. It sounds odd, because professors with letters after their names have told us that it's important to read by seeing several words at once, preferably a whole line. Well, personally I consider this debunked, because the other method is remarkably workable. I could read 300 words a minute even without any training.

We just need the app on the watch, and then to have it integrated with the Kindle App, so all the popular ebooks are included.

Oh, and I also think another thing is important, a feature which didn't seem to be in any of those apps: the ability, if you miss something, to go back a few words, or to see a couple of lines together. It's easy to miss something if you come across an unfamiliar words, or just get distracted by something happening elsewhere. Or heck, if the reading just stimulate thought, it happens to me all the time, and I'm sure I can't be alone!



Samsung has actually already put Spritz on their Gear S smartwatch. Well done.

1 comment:

TC [Girl] said...

You've got me cracking up, here; gotta be for eyes of the young, only!! :-P

On another note, saw your tweet, re: the iWatch, I mean Apple Watch:

I am just blown away by what Apple has done with the Apple Watch's design. Unbelievably gorgeous. http://www.apple.com/uk/watch/films/

I know it; the Milanese strap is my fave...LOVE that!! Love the curved face, as well... LOVE the thing where 2 peeps can "squiggle" to each other; very cool!!

Reading that article; wild to think about what he writes: "My watches will last for generations, this Apple Watch will last for five years, if we're lucky." :-(