Sunday, September 26, 2010

Reading is still good in the Net age

Reading is still good in the Net age, is the message of this article, and I couldn't agree more.

But I must say, I've been thinking about all this talk recently, from Steve Jobs and others, what a shame it would be if professionally edited news writing weren't to survive.
And in principle I can see that. I'm all for quality. But when I read newspapers (on paper or online), I must say I'm not all that impressed. The bulk of it does not seem very interesting, or even very well written. 
Just look at the article linked above. It's an article the Wall Street Journal, for pete's sake, one of the most famous and respected papers in the world. And yet the article is a mess. It's just a great muddling-around over several paragraphs, in order to say one thing: reading is still good. I have a feeling that it, and the even more confusing illustration, is supposed to be funny, but it's not.
It's not very PC of me, I know, but I must say, I think I write better than that.

4 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"It's not very PC of me, I know, but I must say, I think I write better than that."

Well...I'll join you in saying same, then, because I often read articles and think the same! Makes me think that I might have half a chance at getting an article published...w/what I see/read "out there!" One of these days, I might actually get up the nerve to give it a whirl and see what happens!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'll bet that anybody with decent language can start getting published within a few months, if they just write a lot, and send out to many publications and sites.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Of course living off it is another matter. Only a few do that.

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"I'll bet that anybody with decent language can start getting published within a few months, if they just write a lot, and send out to many publications and sites."

Probably. And, of course, finding magazines that actually cover the subject(s) that the writer is interested in! :-)

"Of course living off it is another matter. Only a few do that."

Right. Sadly.