Thursday, July 28, 2011

Asus Eee Pad Transformer review

Asus Eee Pad Transformer review.

The Asus Eee Pad Transformer is what we've been waiting for - a tablet that can truly replace a netbook or ultra-portable laptop. With the keyboard disengaged, it's a slim, fairly light tablet with a great screen and touchscreen. With the dock in-tow, it's a typing demon whose battery will outlast almost any laptop you can find.

I've noticed that the Transformer is getting high marks many places, and from the beginning I found the optional but integrated keyboard very interesting. And it's one of the cheaper in the herd too, though not 'xactly shockingly cheap either.

Update: Bruce reminded me of their Slider model, which does indeed look very kewl. I'd like to try it, to see if I can touch-type comfortably, the keyboard looks a wee bit smallish.

I like the slightly rounded sides of the Slider. Just such a small, nice design decision, and already it's more differentiated from the iPad that any of the competition, even before you see the keyboard.
I'll look forward to the reviews.



[In case anybody notice these things at all: I've switched the colors, quotes from other sites are now blue, and quotes from comments are green...]

4 comments:

Bruce said...

This new ASUS tablet with a slide out keyboard looks fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KC7lSlnSU

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ah, yes. A good idea there, possibly.

Bruce said...

I know one person who used a Treo for years. He moved up to an original Droid (Milestone in UK). One reason was because he wasn't sure if he could do without a physical keyboard. It turns out he got used to typing on glass quickly. He still has the Droid and likes it, even though he doesn't use the keyboard any more.

The keyboard on the ASUS slider tablet may appeal to new tablet owners for the same reason. If you're not sure if you can do without a keyboard, it's always there, nothing else to carry around or to leave at home by accident. Plus, it makes a nice stand!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I am no good on glass keyboards or tiny keybards. If I'm to write more than a couple sentences, I need a real keyboard.
So if I can touch-type on the Slider, that'd be kewl.
I do have large hands, but on the other hand I can touch-type on one of those small foldable iGo or Think Outside keyboards, so I guess It's flexible.