Saturday, October 8, 2011

Liking my basic Kindle

I am reading a book on my new basic Kindle. I got the basic (no Touch) model partly because it's smaller and lighter than that the other variants, and I think I chose right. I think I could get used to it. I might get through the whole book on it, I never did manage on the Kindle 3, due in part to my (surely irrational) dislike of the gray-ish screen. (Not that the new one's screen is very different.)

The Kindle 3 was hardly a behemoth at only 240 grams (8.5 oz), but the new baby brother beats it: only 170 grams (6 oz). I'm surprised, but it does seem to make a difference to me, it seem much more friendly, as it were.

If the device (or so far, any similar device) actually had something to grip while holding it, I think it could weigh much more and it wouldn't be an issue. But because it has so little surface area which is not screen or buttons, low weight counts for a lot. Your hold on it is tenuous, and the edges dig into the hand.

The Touch model should be better for those who take notes, and the Fire of course has much more fireworks, but for pure book reading, I think the basic Kindle is not only the smallest and amazingly cheap, but also about as good as it's gotten yet. The design is both the simplest and best-looking yet, and the interface is easier, due to fewer buttons.



Below, Kindles 1, 2, 3, and 4.
I have all of them. And I'm not selling, I regret I got rid of my early iPods, even if the battery would be dead now.

7 comments:

bilhelm96 said...

I still have no problem with my Kindle (Second Edition Worldwide). The contrast may not be as good, but it is a nice device for a good reading session.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, what works for you, works.

Len Edgerly said...

I'm also getting quite attached to Baby Brother. I think I'll like him even more when the simple case I ordered from Amazon arrives - no light, just a leather or leather-like cover. I'm getting pretty fast with that text entry system. It's like a game.

Janet Tokerud said...

OK. I'm in - that $79 price tag is within impulse buy range here in the US. Now I'll be able to blog about the differences between it and the Kindle 3 like I hope you guys keep doing. Mine comes tomorrow with a little extra $4 fee. I still don't know if I want the touch or the fire. With an iPad, it's kind of a redundancy but I shouldn't be mentioning that to you, Eolake!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

No, redundant is my durn Motorola Xoom, Impressive chunk of hardware, but I've no clue what to do with it that I can't do better on my iPads!

Touch or Fire, I think it depends on how you'll use it.

Me, I still can't really get used to the slow and grey screen of the Kindle, though I thought for a couple days this week that I had. It just feels dead to me, doesn't jump out at me.

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"Me, I still can't really get used to the slow and grey screen of the Kindle, though I thought for a couple days this week that I had. It just feels dead to me, doesn't jump out at me."

Yeah. IKWYM. You'll prob fall in lurv w/the Fire! :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Probably. If it were unique, it would be certain.
Even 1.5 years later, I'm still excited by the iPad.