Monday, September 5, 2011

Apple forces Samsung to remove the Galaxy Tab 7.7 from IFA show floor

Apple forces Samsung to remove the Galaxy Tab 7.7 from IFA show floor, article.

I'm sorry, but this is just lame. It makes Apple look like a bully. Apple doesn't even have a 7-inch tablet. Just because you have become the 800-pound gorilla in the bus* is no reason to start acting like one.

Steve Jobs always said: "for us it's not about market share, it's about making amazing products". And I do believe him, seriously, it is clearly what he's interested in. So I guess this unflattering behaviour on Apple's part is one of the signs that his diminished influence at Apple is real. This new Apple seems to be set on world domination with whatever means. Sigh, so sad.

*Famous joke: Where does a 800-pound gorilla sit in the bus? answer: wherever it likes.

2 comments:

Stephen A said...

If only the Tsar knew what the Cossacks were doing!

Jobs has always been a spectacularly ruthless businessman and a petulant control freak. As with the best functional narcissists he simultaneously cultivates a heroic, near messianic image to the public.

Whenever I hear Jobs is announcing a new product I'm heartened by the fact that it will raise the bar for the industry. But simultaneously I become deeply depressed in that if Apple does dominate the market innovation will be crushed by the "one true way" of Jobs.

Jobs has explicitly announced that both 7" tablets and Styluses are heresy. But Apple will suppress then nonetheless.

I pray the flood of "motogoogle" patents imposes a balance of terror, and let innovation and competition flourish.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You have a point.

I think other companies self-suppresses innovation when they are out-shone to such a degree.

I think Samsung is doing well in various areas though, their cameras and tablets are good, I've said that for a while, and I think the Note confirms it, a 5.3 tablet with a pen is pretty daring.