Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Steve Jobs owned 100 black turtlenecks

Steve Jobs owned 100 black turtlenecks, article.
He also came to like the idea of having a uniform for himself, both because of its daily convenience (the rationale he claimed) and its ability to convey a signature style. "So I asked Issey to make me some of his black turtlenecks that I liked, and he made me like a hundred of them." Jobs noticed my surprise when he told this story, so he showed them stacked up in the closet. "That's what I wear," he said. "I have enough to last for the rest of my life."

Wow. That is just so alien to me. I guess it explains the super-ultra-hyper-overdrive minimalism Apple has been into for several years. No colors or decoration here, please! I wonder if the candy-colored iMacs were a result of temporary insanity? (And maybe it's only while Steve were out sick that somebody managed to introduce a white iPhone as well as the black one.)

Really, to decide on ONE thing you're gonna wear for the rest of your life?
Convenience? How would it be less convenient to have for example the turtlenecks in four different colors, and just grabbing the top one in the morning, or the color you felt like wearing? Would not take any more time.
And personal uniform? Did he really think that nobody would recognize Steve Jobs if he should turn up in a white shirt? Everybody looking around, "hey, where's Steve? He's supposed to be here. And who is this guy in the white shirt? Call security."

I dunno. It's either so zen it's totally beyond my comprehension, or it's so stuck-minded that I can't believe it. Perhaps a combo.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I completely understand the black turtleneck for the rest of your life thing. I am heading there myself.
I know Georgia O'Keefe was of a similar mind. She wore only black the last part of her life.

Black says to me, all beauty comes out of death. Wearing black to me is the opposite to morbidity. I feel protected (hidden) and free.

Laurie

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I can see that viewpoint. And I have and have had a lot of black.

But I can also see the opposite: death is an illusion, all is life. And I like to wear really bright colors, like sun yellow.

I think both are steps on the same road.

Anonymous said...

absolutely

I saw a woman walking across the road in town today wearing the most beautiful colors, long skirt with the colors of Autumn, golds, yellows, greens, and very funky cowboy boots. I so appreciated her colors, on her that is.

for myself I've always been attracted to the minimalist in decoration and in most everything. One exception, Eolake, you're much more laconic than I!

Laurie

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, I think. :-)

You said once you didn't think I was concise. I guess one can be laconic without being concise?