Friday, April 1, 2011

Acer Board: Ousted CEO Should Have Focused on Tablets, Not Laptops

Acer Board: Ousted CEO Should Have Focused on Tablets, Not Laptops, article.

I guess this sorta explains why 80 companies suddenly started making me-too tablets, despite such things having about as much chance in the market as a mosquito in a hotel fire. The CEOs didn't want to be ousted for not following the market.

It's a tough place to be in, I admit: If you do nothing, you lose, because clearly the tablet market will eat a lot of the laptop market. If you make a me-too tablet, you'll loose, because nobody will take notice of it in the crowd. But if you try to make a superior and different tablet, you'll lose too, because that takes five years and a billion dollars, not to mention a couple of geniuses, and meanwhile Apple and the others forge ahead too. I'll bet there's a lot of sleep lost in the Valley these days.

No comments: